Friday, October 13, 2017

Camp Randall 100

Over the few months prior to the season opener, the Wisconsin Badgers unveiled a list of the 100 people who shaped the first century of Camp Randall Stadium. Tomorrow, the University of Wisconsin invited all of the living members of the countdown to the game against Purdue to commemorate them. The Badgers have been asking people for their submissions to share their favorite memories at Camp Randall. That got me to start thinking of my favorite moments. I have only been to Camp Randall three times, but that did not stop me from bringing up some of my favorite Camp Randall moments while sitting at home.

Now, I admit, I have been spoiled. I was born in 1989, and Barry Alvarez was hired just six and a half months after I entered this Earth. For virtually my entire life, Wisconsin has been one of the top programs in the Big Ten. One of my favorite quotes ever was when Alvarez said during his introductory press conference “You better get season tickets right now, because before long, you probably won’t be able to.” Talk about calling your shot!

Now, back to my favorite moments at Camp Randall. There have been too many memories for me to count. My first game I remember watching was the 1998 Outback Bowl loss to Georgia. Ouch! My first distinct memory was in 2000 when my dad bought he and I tickets to Senior Day against Minnesota. After the Gophers took a 12-3 lead, I was on the verge of tears and told my dad I wanted to go home. Good thing we stayed, as we watched the Badgers come back to win 41-20. Going right up near the field to watch warm-ups was really cool. Seeing my favorite players, Jamar Fletcher and Chris Chambers, stretching before the game in person was incredible. I even was able to see one of the more funny moments I can remember at Camp Randall....”The Unertl Drive.” It was hilarious hearing Mike Mahnke announce the carry was by “Matt Uuuuuuuunertl” and then having the crowd echo it. Of course, seeing the Badgers win the axe was fantastic as well.

I was also able to see Wisconsin win the axe again in 2008 with two of my friends. sitting in a Gophers section was tough, and they were pretty bad in the first half as Minnesota took a 21-7 lead into the break. But I got the last laugh, though, as Wisconsin came back and won 35-32 on the strength of the duo of P.J. Hill and John Clay and a tremendous defensive effort. Amazingly, that was the last time I have been to the Camp.

I am not going to limit this to just games I went to, though, as I have only been to three there, and one did not go well. The great thing about all these moments is that I can remember all these moments like they were yesterday, and can remember what I was doing when these games took place. I admit, I did not think Wisconsin was going to beat Ohio State in 2003, so when the game was closing, I reached to the sky and said “I can’t believe this is happening!” That Schabert-to-Evans play ranks right up there in my favorite plays of all-time.

In addition to those, I mean, who could forget Gilreath’s return against No. 1 Ohio State? Or Stocco’s QB draw to beat Michigan for the first time since 1994? Or Melvin Gordon rushing for 408 yards? Or the Dayne Game? All great memories that I will never forget where I was when they happened. Of course, there was Wisconsin football before I was born. Obviously, I was not able to see Jeff Mack’s touchdown reception from Gregg Bohlig to beat Nebraska or the upset of No. 1 Michigan in 1981 or the Randy Marks winning touchdown against Iowa in 1969 to end the 23-game winless streak, but they deserve a mention.

I could go on and on about the terrific moments at this place. Any mention of Camp Randall has to mention the incredible fans in the venue. The Badgers mean everything to the city of Madison. It is amazing to see the fans have so much fun during the game, whether it is the crowd singing “Build Me Up Buttercup” in unison or doing the “Jump Around” between the third and fourth quarters. The crowd is electric and has made this stadium one of the toughest venues in college football to play in.

In speaking of “Jump Around,” that has been mentioned a number of times by people as their top moment. As a young Wisconsin fan game at the game in 2000, I had no idea what was going on, since I had no idea of the young tradition at that time. But now, whenever I hear that song, I immediately think Wisconsin football. I mean, how could you not?

Those are only a few of the countless memories and moments in the history of this great stadium. I have not even mentioned half of the great games at Camp Randall. Here’s to another 100 years at this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment